Can I marry after divorce of immigrant another immigrant?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hoboken, NJ

I have been married to an illegal and I'm getting divorce. I met someone in another country. However I married once and ilegal. I was wondering if is legal to marry another immigrant after being divorce. Exits a period to marry again another illegal after divorce

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can marry anyone you choose. However, if your new spouse applies for permanent residence, your new marriage will be scrutinized by the government, especially if there was a finding that your prior marriage was done for the purpose of circumventing U.S. immigration law. Accordingly, your new spouse may not get a green card and you can both be charged with immigration fraud.

    I would strongly suggest that you use an immigration lawyer. There is much more to our profession than filling out forms. There is a lot of analysis that occurs behind the scenes. Retain a lawyer and do it right the first time. Furthermore, epeating anything in the world of immigration is on a time scale of months or years. As a result, it can easily cost you more time and money to obtain an immigration benefit on your own than if you use an attorney. Plus, keep in mind that there are significant “opportunity costs” as well. (A good example is where someone has to re-submit a work permit application and wait a few additional months before working).

    If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  2. Eric M. Mark


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can marry whoever you want. Whether you can successfully sponsor that person for a green card is a different question you need to consult with a lawyer about.

  3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Murray. Based on your past marriage, you should definitely get the assistance of an experience immigration attorney for assistance this time. Good luck to you.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith, J.D., Ph.D.
    11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280
    Houston, TX 77092

    713-LAWYER-2 (713-529-9372)

  4. Yolanda Navarrete

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can marry once your divorce is final. however, I need more information to be able to give you a reliable answer, of you are interested in petitioning for him. this is not mentioned in your question. Are you a U.S. citizen? Did you petition for your first husband? What is the status of that?

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,827 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,827 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering