Can i marry a man in military and get my citizenship?

Ardmore, PA |

i am on a J1 visa at the moment i want to marry my boyfriend i was not planning on meeting a guy but now that i have he is my everything and i dont want to go back home will marrying him get me my citizenship

You may enter in a BONA FIDE marriage (meaning not for the sole purposes of skirting the immigration law, but a genuine authentic marriage) and AOS in the United States, provided you meet all the statutory requirements like J-1 Two Year Waiver, absence of criminal history etc.
Speak with an immigration counsel in person before your next move.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

You must first become a permanent resident before you can become a citizen. You can apply for resident status ("a green card") through your boyfriend once you got married if he is a U.S. citizen.

Schedule a consultation for you and your boyfriend with an immigration attorney. Adjusting status is a complex process and it is not clear whether you have a home residency requirement, among other factors.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Completely agree with Counsel Whitt.

My visa says I am not subjected to the 212 e . And that the 2 year rule does not apply so does that mean it would make it easier for me ?

I am an Aupair so I already had to have a background check and police clearance before I came as I work with children .

Wendy Renee Whitt

Wendy Renee Whitt

Not having a residency requirement means there is one less step in the process for you. However, nothing about adjustment of status is easy, you will need an attorney experienced in both adjustment of status and military cases to help you.

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it .

How do I go about finding an attorney experienced in both these categories ?

Wendy Renee Whitt

Wendy Renee Whitt

Here on Avvo or at www.aila.org.

Make sure that you are not subject to the 212(e) known as the 2-year foreign residency requirement. If so, you will need an waiver before you can adjust your status to lawful permanent residency.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
Morales PLLC
info@moralespllc.com

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For more information please contact us at info@moralespllc.com.

As people noted you have to be careful the 2 year foreign residency requirement (see if the visa in your passport says you are or are not subject to 212(e). You may also have an issue if he ships out overseas. They have ways of dealing with that as well but you should use the assistance of an attorney of that is a possibility or if you're subject to 212(e).

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action.

Marriage and prenups topics