Can i marry a man in military and get my citizenship?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ardmore, PA

i am on a J1 visa at the moment i want to marry my boyfriend i was not planning on meeting a guy but now that i have he is my everything and i dont want to go back home will marrying him get me my citizenship

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You may enter in a BONA FIDE marriage (meaning not for the sole purposes of skirting the immigration law, but a genuine authentic marriage) and AOS in the United States, provided you meet all the statutory requirements like J-1 Two Year Waiver, absence of criminal history etc.
    Speak with an immigration counsel in person before your next move.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  2. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Make sure that you are not subject to the 212(e) known as the 2-year foreign residency requirement. If so, you will need an waiver before you can adjust your status to lawful permanent residency.

    Myron R. Morales, Attorney
    Morales PLLC

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For more information please contact us at
  3. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must first become a permanent resident before you can become a citizen. You can apply for resident status ("a green card") through your boyfriend once you got married if he is a U.S. citizen.

  4. Wendy Renee Whitt

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Schedule a consultation for you and your boyfriend with an immigration attorney. Adjusting status is a complex process and it is not clear whether you have a home residency requirement, among other factors.

  5. Justin G. Randolph

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As people noted you have to be careful the 2 year foreign residency requirement (see if the visa in your passport says you are or are not subject to 212(e). You may also have an issue if he ships out overseas. They have ways of dealing with that as well but you should use the assistance of an attorney of that is a possibility or if you're subject to 212(e).

    My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now