Can I make repairs on my place that I am renting so I am not charged later by the landlord?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I damaged the home I am renting accidentally, and now the manager wants to charge an exorbitant amount to fix. I am wondering whether I can pay someone to do the exact same repairs so I am not charged. There is some minor water damage to a floor and also a counter top needs to be replaced. Is this something that I am allowed to have someone fix before I move out?

1. Michael Ryan Juarez

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Repairs to damage caused by a tenant can be made at the tenants direction and cost however it would be wise to have the LL agree the repairs made were adequate. One way of doing this is to include a third party satisfaction clause in your contract with the repairman; the third party being your LL.

2. Malosack Berjis

2

1

Answered . Sure--but, keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily mean that the landlord still won't try to charge you (for some or all of the amount). Hope this helps.

3. Martha Bronson

Answered . Yes, these appear to be repairs that you can undertake as part of avoiding deductions from your security deposit under CC 1950.5. I suggest you have the landlord give you an estimate of what he would charge you if he makes the repairs himself – assuming you are moving out—he is obligated to give you a written estimate under cc 1950.5(f)(1) and subsection (2) which states:
    (2) Based on the inspection, the landlord shall give the tenant an
    itemized statement specifying repairs or cleaning that are proposed
    to be the basis of any deductions from the security the landlord
    intends to make pursuant to paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive of
    subdivision (b). This statement shall also include the texts of
    paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, of subdivision (b). The statement
    shall be given to the tenant, if the tenant is present for the
    inspection, or shall be left inside the premises.
    (3) The tenant shall have the opportunity during the period
    following the initial inspection until termination of the tenancy to
    remedy identified deficiencies, in a manner consistent with the
    rights and obligations of the parties under the rental agreement, in
    order to avoid deductions from the security.