Can I make my husband keep me on insurance until I can get my own?

Asked about 1 year ago - Springfield, IL

I am leaving a violent marriage. Currently have an Order of Protection against my husband, I have been unable to work due to severe nerve and muscle damage for a few months now. I may need to have surgery to repair the problem. I have no money coming in, and I have no way to pay for the specialists and surgery. Can I ask the court to compel him to keep me on his insurance? As of right now I have no way to provide for myself. I am still living in our house until our court date and I'm not sure what will happen then. He plead guilty to Domestic Assault, I'm just scared that I will end up homeless with no way to get well enough to work again.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

7

Best Answer

Answered . During the pendency of a divorce, the holder of the insurance must maintain insurance for the dependent spouse. Take care of as many of your medical problems as you can before your divorce is final.

2. J. Richard Kulerski

6

Answered . Has a divorce case been filed? If so, your husband must maintain your coverage. You can easily get a court order reminding him that he has to keep you covered.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

5

Answered . You are leaving......... IS THERE A DIVORCE PENDING? You did not say. I am thinking not. You must file for divorce to ask the court to continue the coverage. If there is no divorce case the judge in the Order of Protection case can do nothing. If you file for divorce you can have your lawyer ask for you to be kept on the health insurance.