Skip to main content

Can I make arrangements to pay off my child support obligation 6 months before my obligations end?

Alpharetta, GA |

My daughter exits High School in one year, I'm moving out of the country 6 months before my daughter graduates. I'd like to know if I can pay off my child support obligations ahead of time and get the court to acknowledge that I have fulfilled this financial obligation. I am currently two months ahead in my payments.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Courts don't acknowledge payments of support.

You certainly can send payments early, but need to document, in something signed by BOTH parents, that you have paid money early, not made an extra gift in the current month.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


sure you can just be sure to write on the check "this payment is for child support for the months of _________________" for example "child support for the months from June2013 through November 2013 "
just plug in the correct dates ......... just be sure to pay by check .

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer