Can I make a complaint against landlord for threaten, intimidation and coercive behavior?

Montclair, NJ |

My landlord came to my room and asked me to my family (including a 4-year old child) to move to another room because our room need to be repaired according to state inspector. The inspector just needed the landlord to fix and clean up the bathroom because we have a little kid here and that seems to make our landlord dissatisfied with this inspection. He told us to move to another room or he will raise the rent when the lease expire. I mean I don't care if he will raise the lease when the contract end but his behavior that forcing us to move to the new room by intimidating us is not right. Can we file a complaint about his coercive behavior? Is it true that the inspector will charge him if he doesn't comply with the request (cleaning, fixing the bathroom)?

1. While you have every legal right to file a complaint it is not wise to do it while you are a tenant. I do not know what the extent of the required repairs are, but it is true that often people can be fined if they do not follow inspection. What he may not have told you is that no tenant can be in the apt until it is properly repaired, and therefore if you stay there he will also be fined.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Legal terms used in litigation………………………………………………………..

Landlord Tenant Rules and Requirements in General and in New Jersey,
    Landlord Tenant Litigation: Eviction, Other Lawsuits in General and in New Jersey

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

Landlord-tenant law topics