Can I lose my license for letting an intoxicated person drive my car (with me drunk in the car)

Asked about 2 years ago - Levittown, PA

in PA if I allow a drunk person to drive my car (with me as an intoxicated passenger) and they crash the car and get a DUI, am I subject to lose my license for a year if that is the penalty for the driver?

1. Forest Dean Morgan

11

1

Answered . No.

2. Zachary Cooper

11

Answered . No however there are some other states that will charge you for this such as New Jersey.

3. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

10

1

Answered . That is the way that it works in New Jersey. However, it is not liek that in Pennsylvania. I am guessing that is the reason that you ask.

4. Robert C. Keller

10

Answered . In the event the intoxicated person is convicted of DUI, you will be subject to a drivers license suspension. You should consult with an attorney as there are also civil implications that must be considered.

5. Gregory Howard Wiley

10

2

Answered . No. Take it as a lesson that hiring a cab is usually a whole lot cheaper.

6. James Lawrence Magazine

Pro

11

Answered . No you cannot. That is still not an ideal situation, taking a cab is much better.

7. Todd Adam Spivak

6

Answered . No, you cannot lose your license for letting an intoxicated person drive your car. But you may be held liable for a civil lawsuit if the driver causes damages due to your negligence in letting him drive despite knowing that he was intoxicated.