Skip to main content

Can I lose my license for letting an intoxicated person drive my car (with me drunk in the car)

Levittown, PA |

in PA if I allow a drunk person to drive my car (with me as an intoxicated passenger) and they crash the car and get a DUI, am I subject to lose my license for a year if that is the penalty for the driver?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. That is the way that it works in New Jersey. However, it is not liek that in Pennsylvania. I am guessing that is the reason that you ask.

  2. No. Take it as a lesson that hiring a cab is usually a whole lot cheaper.

  3. No however there are some other states that will charge you for this such as New Jersey.

  4. In the event the intoxicated person is convicted of DUI, you will be subject to a drivers license suspension. You should consult with an attorney as there are also civil implications that must be considered.

  5. No you cannot. That is still not an ideal situation, taking a cab is much better.

  6. No, you cannot lose your license for letting an intoxicated person drive your car. But you may be held liable for a civil lawsuit if the driver causes damages due to your negligence in letting him drive despite knowing that he was intoxicated.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics