Can I lose my citizenship if we got divorce?

Asked about 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I got my US citizenship through marriage three months ago, I need to file for divorce. how is this will effect my citizenship.

1. Karen-Lee Pollak

9

Answered . You will not lose your citizenship unless the USCIS for some reason proves that your green card was obtained fraudulently

2. Mark Davidson

Pro

6

Answered . It won't unless you lied on your application for naturalization about your marriage and DHS were to find out about it (which is likely not to occur unless someone were to inform them and DHS investigated). The fact you have decided to seek a divorce after you are a US citizen is normally not relevant to any immigration matter.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

6

Answered . Your acquired citizenship is not in jeopardy if there is no allegation of fraud in factum or falsification in any submitted documents that facilitated it.
    No one is forced to tolerate an unbalanced marriage when things do not work out between spouses. You may file for a divorce on merits without risking your citizenship.

4. J Charles Ferrari

6

Answered . Only if the marriage was fraudulent.

5. Jennifer Lynn Bennett

3

Answered . I assume that your marriage was a real, genuine, good-faith marriage? As long as that's the case, there is nothing to worry about at this point in time.