Can I lose my citizenship if we got divorce?

Chicago, IL |

I got my US citizenship through marriage three months ago, I need to file for divorce. how is this will effect my citizenship.

You will not lose your citizenship unless the USCIS for some reason proves that your green card was obtained fraudulently

Only if the marriage was fraudulent.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

It won't unless you lied on your application for naturalization about your marriage and DHS were to find out about it (which is likely not to occur unless someone were to inform them and DHS investigated). The fact you have decided to seek a divorce after you are a US citizen is normally not relevant to any immigration matter.

Is there a statute of limitation on how long after citizenship DHS can investigate? Can they investigate even after a long time (years/decades) of citizenship and subsequent divorce?

Your acquired citizenship is not in jeopardy if there is no allegation of fraud in factum or falsification in any submitted documents that facilitated it.
No one is forced to tolerate an unbalanced marriage when things do not work out between spouses. You may file for a divorce on merits without risking your citizenship.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

I assume that your marriage was a real, genuine, good-faith marriage? As long as that's the case, there is nothing to worry about at this point in time.

FOR CONSULTATION on IMMIGRATION or FAMILY LAW MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of Jennifer L. Bennett, 312.972.7969, attorney_jb@yahoo.com, 3806 W. Irving Park Road, Suite B, Chicago, IL 60618. The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advice specific to your situation and/or case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo are only general in nature; specific answers require knowledge of all facts.