Can I lose custody b/c I was sexually assaulted as a child - 25+ years ago?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I was sexually assaulted as a child by a member of my extended family... 25+ years ago. I am in the middle of a custody battle where my ex is attempting to use this against me stating I have PTSD because of this assault .

1. Patricia Faye Bushman

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The actual assault is not usable, but if it causes you to behave in abnormal ways, then they can use that. You should not be fighting this without an attorney. A good family law attorney can help you defend yourself and your children.

2. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

1

Answered . You really didn't post enough here to allow anyone to fully evaluate your situation. I suggest you speak to your attorney about your concerns--if you have one. If you don't, get one. Secondly, I suggest you get into treatment for PTSD, if you do have it. No one would fault you for trying to get better.

3. Mark Anthony Cohan

Pro

Answered . I agree with Attorney Moore. This is a really, really complicated circumstance and without all the knowledge of how your ex is attempting to use it, we can't really make a judgment. Tell your attorney if you have one and if you don't, I'd strongly recommend you get one. This ruling can go either way, depending on the circumstances.