Can I loan money to my own LLC?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Is it ok to enter into compensation agreement with my own single-member LLC, where the LLC issues promissory notes to me for the salary owed?

1. Pamela Koslyn

12

1

Answered . Yes, you can loan money to your LLC, and your LLC can loan money to you, with the appropriate documentation.

But your LLC doesn't loan any salaries. Loans are loans, and salaries are salaries. You need to see a business lawyer and get a good CPA to make sure you're operating this LLC properly, or else it won't provide the limited liability it's meant to provide.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

9

1

Answered . Generally speaking, yes. You just have to make sure you document the loan with a promissory note and a resolution by the LLC authorizing the loan.

3. Michael Charles Doland

8

1

Answered . Yes, it is permitted. Make sure to document the transaction in both the minutes and by preparing promissory note(s).

4. Michael Leo Potter

Pro

8

1

Answered . Yes, you can legally do that. However, to be complete, you'll want to do it exactly the same way as you would in loaning $$$ to anyone else. I'd get a promissory note and an interest rate that is reasonable. Be sure to DOCUMENT the transaction so that it stands up to an IRS Audit. Good Luck on your business!

5. Thomas Henry Schelly

4

1

Answered . Yes. But beware; too many such transactions and should the LLC get sued, you might leave yourself open to claims for piercing through the "veil" by treating the LLC as your alterego.