Can i legaly sign my wifes name on a joint tax refund if my wife refuses to sign it ?

Asked over 5 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

i have a ssi # she has an itin # and this year as last we are not getting the recovery rebate credit and the irs took out almost 1,500 from my return . i earned a lilttle over 36,000 she earned 2,000,now she wont sign unless she gets 2,000,is it legal for me to sign her name on the check we dont have a joint checking account.

1. Matthew Edward Williamson

1

1

Answered . No . If you sign the name if would be a crime. Don't do it, not worth it and she will find out.

Take Note: Common Sense and this environment (the internet) require me to remind everyone that this answer isn't legal advice, and shouldn't be relied upon. Remember-every state has different laws, rules and regulations and each person's situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a thorough evaluation and review of all the facts and documents at issue, including potential investigation. By answering or posting information here, it doesn't create an attorney-client relationship.

Matthew Williamson

2. Robin Mashal

1

1

Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

You should never sign anyone else's name, especially if they have not authorized you to do so. If your wife refuses to file a joint tax return with you, consider filing separate returns. You should consult your own attorney and tax advisors.

3. Donald Erich Lowrey

1

Answered . Signing another's name on a Treasury check probably is a violation of several Federal laws. You can return the check to the Treasury department, but it would make a lot more sense to work out something with your wife.