Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

Can I legally withhold a portion of my rent payment from my landlord in NJ for all of the days that I was without running water?

We moved into our new apt in horrible condition, spent thousands to fix it but upon moving in on the first we discovered there was a huge leak in the main water pipe that leaked into the neighbors' apt below. We were told we have to pay for the days we were without water (11 days currently - with small children in the home) no accommodations were offered and we spent a fortune on frozen foods and eating out as well as having to find places to bathe. Can the landlord evict us and/or do we have the right to withhold the amount only for the days we went without water? What are our legal rights in this situation?

Weehawken, NJ -

Stuart M Nachbar

Stuart M Nachbar

Bankruptcy Attorney - Livingston, NJ

Where a landlord simply refuses to make needed repairs, tenants often have little choice but to stop paying rent. This is called withholding the rent if it involves one tenant. If some or all of the tenants in one building or complex withhold rent as a group, it is called a rent strike. By withholding rent, tenants put pressure on the landlord to make repairs, and they avoid paying for services they are not receiving. Withholding rent is perfectly legal and often can be the only way to force the landlord to make necessary repairs.

Matthew R Schutz

Matthew R Schutz

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Flemington, NJ

The only thing I would add to counsel's response is that you should escrow the witheld rent.

Paul I Perkins

Paul I Perkins

Litigation Lawyer - Jersey City, NJ

Most NJ leases state that there is a corresponding duty for tenant to pay rent and for landlord to perform all his/her duties. The exception to this rule is where the defect (in this case no water) makes the space uninhabitable. The New Jersey Supreme Court has reiterated that lack of plumbing affects habitability. Trentacost v. Brussel, 82 N.J. 214, 412 A.2d 436 New Jersey Supreme Court 1980 [not bluebooked]. In addition to these claims you can sue the landlord under the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act. NJ law says that this act applies to tenancies. See 49 Prospect Street Tenants Ass'n v. Sheva Gardens, Inc., 227 N.J.Super. 449, 547 A.2d 1134
N.J.Superior Court, Appellate Division, 1988.[not bluebooked]. This law gives you the ability to get three times your damages (cost of not having water) and also attorneys fees. You should definitely consult a competent attorney for this situation and at least consult and make sure you have the law in hand if you have to fight your landlord in court. Good Luck!