Can I legally withdraw money from my brother's bank account, he passed away in Feb. 2013.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I took care of my brother's bills for him when he was in the hospital per his request. I was his Power of Attorney at the hospital where he died. Now that he is gone can I withdraw money from his ATM? There is a couple of hundred dollars and I know he would want me to have it. There is no will, he has 2 daughters that live out of the area that were not involved with his business dealings. He was on Social Security Disability. I paid for his Cremation expenses. He told me to draw out money before his death but now I'm not sure if I can draw any more. SS has been notified. He didn't get a payment for April, but he did for March which is sitting in the bank, including another two hundred. I wanted to take the 200.00 for expenses, I'm sure SS will eventually take back March payment.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christine James


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You are right that SS will take the payment back and no legally you cannot take money out of the ATM of your brother's account. If you paid for the funeral expenses out of our own funds, you would technically have priority to receive that $200. Otherwise the money belongs to his daughters. If the daughters agree that you should have it and they sign something to that effect, no harm done and it would probably be ok to withdraw it. Keep in mind as well that if the bank knows your brother passed away, the ATM card is likely blocked anyway. Good luck.

  2. Kelvin P. Green

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree, you are not entitled to the cash. You need to work out with your nieces to pay for the funeral expenses.

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney James. You cannot legally take these funds. They might well go to you, as a reimbursement for administrative expenses that you paid. But you cannot legally grab them yourself. You need to go through proper legal channels.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,768 answers this week

3,389 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,768 answers this week

3,389 attorneys answering