Can I legally stop my ex from posting sexually explicit pictures of me on the Internet?

My ex continues to post sexually explicit photos of me on the Internet. I have had the website take them down but he keeps reposting them. The pictures he's posting have my whole recognizable face and he is refusing to cease doing this. At the same time he is using his actions to try to blackmail me into signing things totally unrelated to this, saying that he will continue to humiliate me until I do, and will show the pictures to everyone he can if he has to. These pictures were taken when we were in a committed relationship. He keeps threatening that this will get worse for me if I don't meet with him. Can he legally do this? Is it against the law for him to post pictures like this without my permission? What if any recourse if any do I have.? What can I do

Phoenix, AZ -

Samuel J Doncaster

Samuel J Doncaster

Business Attorney - Scottsdale, AZ

You should definitely talk to a lawyer about suing him. You can get an injunction against similar conduct and damages for what he's already done.

Kevin R Harper

Kevin R Harper

Real Estate Attorney - Chandler, AZ

I agree with my colleagues that you may be able to bring criminal and civil claims based on the actions you describe. You should definitely schedule a consultation with an attorney to explore those claims in further detail.

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Internet Lawyer - Akron, OH

Your Ex has created a world of hurt for himself.

Threatening to post dirty pictures if you don't agree to sign something is the classic definition of blackmail. You should call the police and file a report. (If you have a hard copy of his threat you will be even more convincing. You can also point out what he has already posted.)

If your Ex has money or property worth anything, you can also persue him with civil litigation. If he is arrested for blackmail, you might even find an attorney who would take this case on a retainer. (Again, only if their is money at the end of the rainbow.)

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Sexual Harassment Attorney - Lakeway, TX

You may want to contact the local police and see if they can assist you then you should set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in civil litigation cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. You will probably be advised that you can file a harassment lawsuit against this individual and move to get the court to issue a restraining order against him prohibiting him from posting illegal photos of you on the Internet.