Skip to main content

Can I legally stop my ex from posting sexually explicit pictures of me on the Internet?

Phoenix, AZ |

My ex continues to post sexually explicit photos of me on the Internet. I have had the website take them down but he keeps reposting them. The pictures he's posting have my whole recognizable face and he is refusing to cease doing this. At the same time he is using his actions to try to blackmail me into signing things totally unrelated to this, saying that he will continue to humiliate me until I do, and will show the pictures to everyone he can if he has to. These pictures were taken when we were in a committed relationship.

He keeps threatening that this will get worse for me if I don't meet with him. Can he legally do this? Is it against the law for him to post pictures like this without my permission? What if any recourse if any do I have.? What can I do

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Your Ex has created a world of hurt for himself.

    Threatening to post dirty pictures if you don't agree to sign something is the classic definition of blackmail. You should call the police and file a report. (If you have a hard copy of his threat you will be even more convincing. You can also point out what he has already posted.)

    If your Ex has money or property worth anything, you can also persue him with civil litigation. If he is arrested for blackmail, you might even find an attorney who would take this case on a retainer. (Again, only if their is money at the end of the rainbow.)

    This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

  2. You should definitely talk to a lawyer about suing him. You can get an injunction against similar conduct and damages for what he's already done.

  3. You may want to contact the local police and see if they can assist you then you should set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in civil litigation cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. You will probably be advised that you can file a harassment lawsuit against this individual and move to get the court to issue a restraining order against him prohibiting him from posting illegal photos of you on the Internet.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

  4. I agree with my colleagues that you may be able to bring criminal and civil claims based on the actions you describe. You should definitely schedule a consultation with an attorney to explore those claims in further detail.

    This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation and does not constitute legal advice. I believe you should discuss the details of your specific case with an attorney. I am admitted in the States of Arizona and Idaho only. You should not rely on the information provided here in lieu of a personal consultation with a lawyer. Nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics