Can I legally sign a lease when I'm 17?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

I'm done with high school, working full time and want to move into a house with 4 girls. I turn 18 in August but does that mean the contract is voidable or does it just become valid when I turn 18?

1. 1

Answered . The contract is voidable - but someone has to raise the issue. The best option may be to have someone older co-sign with you. The landlord is looking for responsibility for the rent payments. If no one raises the issue, it probably will not matter so long as you keep paying your portion of the rent.

2. Answered . It means it is voidable because you are a minor.....but landlord can take the risk. More likely that the landlord makes your Mom/Dad sign for you.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now