Can I legally remove my ex-wife from my health insurance 4 years after divorce?

Providence, RI |

My divorce decree states that I am to cover my ex and child on my health insurance. Regarding my ex, there is no end date on the decree. I now have been in a relationship for 3 years with another woman, and we have a child on the way. I would like to continue coverage for my first child, but also cover my new child and girlfriend on my family plan. I have already discussed with the insurance company who will agree to cover my girlfriend with some additional documentation, but I do not want to remove my ex-wife if it is not legal. Ex wife is eligible for a single comparable plan through her own employer, but says she doesn't want to pay for it.

The language of the divorce decree will control. If it says you provide it and there is no end date, then you are obligated to provide it.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

I agree with Attorney Majeski. The language of the divorce decree will control. If the language is ambiguous, you may want to seek clarification and/or modification from the Family Court. Good luck.

Here is some Guidance on the LAW ... The Rhode Island health Insurance Continuation act written by a local attorney.

This observation is provided without warranty nor guarantee and for entertainment and informational purposes only. This answer is not legal advice. Not to be used as infant formula. No attorney client relationship is established as a result of these communications. The best legal advice you can get is to consult with an attorney licensed in your state or territory.