Can I legally purchase a hand gun to protect my home having been found guilty of terrorist threats as an adult?

Asked 12 months ago - Philadelphia, PA

In 1997 I was convicted of terrorist threats & sentenced to a years probation, along with a restraining order in which I successfully completed. What I did was to write a note telling someone I would burn their house down with the hope of scaring them. I have been a law biding citizen since then with no contact with the police. I was told I had committed a misdemeanor. As a juvenile, I had a few miner run ins with the law never having served any time . I'm 65 years old & too weak to physically defend my self in this crime infested neighborhood due to a host of illnesses mainly muscle myopathy. Also, there are no records of violence committed by me as a juvenile or adult. If I can legally purchase a firearm, what are the steps I would take? Please help. I'm not feeling safe.

1. David Merrill Walters

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . If the crime of which you were convicted was punishable by a term of imprisonment for more than one year or you are concerned that you are otherwise disqualified from possessing firearms by federal or state prohibitions, you should consult with a local criminal or firearms law attorney.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

1

Answered . A gun shop should know the legal answer. I would think at the minimum you would have to apply for a license.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

4. Stephen Charles Cooper

1

Answered . Look it up online or ask a gun dealer.