Can I legally own a gun or get a concealed permit?

Lexington, KY |

I was convicted of 4th degree domestic in 2002 in Alaska. It was not against a spouse child or anyone I coinhabited with. It was with someone that I only had sexual relations with. Under federal law it states if convicted against a household member but does not include just an intimate partner like Alaska does. Although in Alaska you are permitted to own a firearm with a domestic conviction. I do not live in Alaska any longer and was wondering if I can own a firearm now in KY. I do have the alaska conviction but does not fall in the federal household guideline. I'm sort of confused about where I stand legally

This is one of those situations where I am reluctant to tell you a definite yes or no here on Avvo but my "gut reaction" is a no, you're not allowed to own a gun in Kentucky. My suggestion is that you hire an attorney in Lexington to help you with this issue. The attorney will get your criminal record and compare the Alaska statute with the relevant Kentucky statute and the Federal statute, and will be in a much better position to figure out whether you are prohibited from owning/possessing a firearm.

I am not your attorney, nor are you my client. This answer to your question is not to be considered legal advice. In all cases, I encourage you to contact a competent, licensed attorney, who will be able to consult with you, investigate the facts of your situation more thoroughly, and give you a better tailored answer. (Also, I frequently type answers on my mobile phone, so please excuse typos and autocorrect errors.)