Can I legally move out without consent at 18 in Alabama.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Talladega, AL

I live in Alabama. I'm already 18. I'm 28 weeks pregnant, and I need to move out of my parents house. I plan to move in with my boyfriend who lives with his parents. And I wouldn't expect any financial help from my parents or even for them to let me keep my car. I know age of majority is 19. But I've read at 18 no matter what your legally an adult. Since I'm an adult I can move out. And cannot be reported as runaway.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jason Matthew Folmar

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The age of majority in Alabama is 19. So your parents could object to your moving.

  2. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . if your parents will not consent, look into emancipation try legal aid

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,475 answers this week

2,430 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,475 answers this week

2,430 attorneys answering