Skip to main content

Can i legally move out of my parents house at the age of 16 if i have a stable place to live?

Cadillac, MI |
Filed under: Family law

my parents will never let me leave the house. and my dad treats me very poorly. he mentally abuses me, and once got in trouble for domestic voilence from hitting me. i have a stable place to live with my friend and i will be going to school still. i just dont want to leave home and have the cops show up saying i have to go home.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. At this point, it would seem that you will not be able to move out of your parents home without more details regarding your family situation. You should see about talking with a trusted adult, like a teacher or counselor or priest, and discuss your concerns and problems. In general, a child is under the control of their parents until they turn the age of majority (18 in most states) and therefore the parents have the final say in what happens. Absent a court award or finding, if you try to move in with your friend's family, your parents may use the MI court system and have you removed back to home. It can get really messy and impose greatly on your friend's family.

    Speak to that adult and see if they can help you find an attorney who can be in a position o give you advice on such a matter. It is unlikely from this point of view, based on the limited facts above, but maybe you can explain more specifically your concerns and they could shed some light on a possible route for you.

    This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

  2. In Michigan, you can request to be emancipated. You would need to see if you meet the statute requirements. I would recommend you discuss your options with an adult you trust. In addition, if you dad is abusing you, then you should contact CPS.

  3. If you are being abused, seek help from Child Protective Services (CPS). Their phone number is (855)444-3911. Also I would suggest that you seek help at a domestic violence shelter.

    To be emancipated you must be able to prove that you can support yourself. This includes paying for housing, health care, and providing for your education. It is a very high burden to meet.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics