Skip to main content

Can i legally give her belongings to her father?

Edmonds, WA |

My girlfriend has a daughter from a previous marriage. The daughter refused to come back to her mothers house and hasn't been here in almost three months. The mother and i have now gone separate ways.the mother has taken over her daughters old room and put the daughters stuff in a closet. The daughter wants her stuff back and her father will come get it as he has full custody and she will not be living in my house again.

Attorney Answers 2


Why would you want to put yourself in another family's dispute?

What if the mother (your former girlfriend) says that the stuff is legally hers? If you give the mother's stuff away, you may have to pay her money to compensate her.

What you can and should do is to tell the mother and father to take each other to court and let the court determine whose stuff it is.

It sounds as if you and the mother are still living in the same place although in different rooms. Depending on the situation, one or both of you may have to move out.

You should review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I understand that you may care very much about your ex-girlfriend's daughter, but this particular dispute is not yours. Your best course of action is to "stay out of it" all together. Both your ex girlfriend and her "ex" should be sorting this out in Court, and should be putting their daughter's interests first.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics