Can i legally get in trouble?

Tampa, FL |

My mom gave me a car for graduation/birthday gift. She even said numerous mine the car is mine and mine only. Im planning on moving to tennessee and she said i dont have to pay for insurance because she has me under "borrower" on the insurance plan. The car is paid off for. Can she get police enforcement involved if push came to shove? Can i be arrested for taking the car even though it was given to me?

There seems to be some missing information. Does she not want you to go to Tenn? Is she threatening to report the car stolen?

Best wishes, Stephanie (813) 667-0434 Ms. Bolton is licensed to practice law in Florida. She practices in the areas of construction and insurance. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Ms. Bolton strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

A key piece of information to share when seeking advice on this matter is - What do the Title and Registration documents say? If you do not hold title or have the vehicle registered in your name it will make a significant difference in the answers to your questions.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

Your fact pattern misses a few important facts. Who owns the car? It sounds like someone other than you. If you take the car anywhere to a place that the owner does not want you to, then you could be in trouble. Insurance as a borrower implies that you are not the owner and are merely some permissive user. If you dont control the insurance, you can be removed as a user as well. Speak with your mother and work it out, outside the legal arena.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices. Bstein@dcfsz.com, 305 377 1505