Can I leave without trouble as a 17 year old mother?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

I am currently in quite the dilemma. As of right now my mother has moved me away from the house due to a serious and difficult CPS and police report I had to make at school. Now that my siblings have gotten the help necessary she still has yet to speak with me. She will not allow me to get my belongings, school work, or to visit. I am a mother of a toddler, and feel I should have some rights as a parent to leave this situation. My 18th birthday is in five months therefore petitioning for emancipation wouldn't work. I have asked various sources how I can legally leave, but no one can provide me with a solid answer. My mother had an officer take my house keys and cellular device. In my perspective this is retaliation and abandonment. Please help me.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mark Allen Land

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Since you have been kicked out, whether you CAN leave is no longer an issue. Since you want to leave, your mission is accomplished.

    If there is a family friend or someone else that can intervene to assist you in getting your "stuff," I would suggest that route.

    I truly wish you the best of luck.

    P.S. Is you father available to assist?

Related Topics

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Wendy J. Norman

Mothers’ Rights

A mother has certain legal rights pertaining to her children. When a mother needs legal assistance with child custody, support, visitation or paternity, a family law attorney can advise her... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,455 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,455 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering