Can I leave the USA?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

My current status for I-765 and I-131 forms is :Card/Document Production. I have no idea what is my status concerning I-485 form. I want to leave the USA for about 5 months but I don't know whether USCIS will invite me for an interview and if they do that before I to return what will happen? The other question is how to obtain information to travel or to wait for decision about I-485.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You'll likely get the Advance Parol Travel document within a week or two. But if I were you, I wouldn't leave the US for such an extended period prior to have obtained my green card. Am afraid you'll be (very) sorry if you do.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If the question is: may I leave the USA temporary to return in five months, the answer is probably not.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,448 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary