Can I leave the states on my F1 visa and come back, even though I'm married to a U.S. Citizen?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

I got married this summer to a U.S. Citizen while on my F1 visa. We are going to send in the paper to file for permanent residency soon, but haven't finished them yet. My grandma's now on her deathbed, and I'm wondering if I can travel out of the country and back in on my F1 visa still for the funeral, or if that's illegal since I'm now married?

Note, my F1 visa is not expired, and won't expire for two years. I'm merely wondering if it's illegal to travel on a F1 visa while married to a U.S. Citizen. I couldn't find any information on how long one can stay on a F1 visa and be married without applying for permanent residency.
Thank you!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It is not illegal to travel with a valid F-1.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,997 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,997 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering