Can I leave the country with DWI charges pending?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ogdensburg, NY

I was arrested for DWI felony, but still going through courts and haven't been convicted of anything yet. Next court day is June 20th 2013. I had planned on going on vacation to a mexico resort, am I able to go?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . Assuming the court didn't impose travel restrictions (and they usually don't) you can go. The issue is whether you can re-enter. If you are a US citizen there is no problem. If you are not a US citizen there could be a problem as an immigration officer has the discretition to deny you re-entry.

2. Christopher Irvin Simser

3

Answered . Check with your attorney.

If you are in a pre-trial release program, there may be a restriction on you leaving the jurisdiction. But your attorney is the best source of reliable information.

Christopher Simser
    Anelli Xavier
    269 West Jefferson Street
    Syracuse, NY 13202
    1-800-DWI-TEAM

3. Marco Caviglia

1

Answered . Limited to the facts you gave, yes.