Can I leave the country with DWI charges pending?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ogdensburg, NY

I was arrested for DWI felony, but still going through courts and haven't been convicted of anything yet. Next court day is June 20th 2013. I had planned on going on vacation to a mexico resort, am I able to go?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Assuming the court didn't impose travel restrictions (and they usually don't) you can go. The issue is whether you can re-enter. If you are a US citizen there is no problem. If you are not a US citizen there could be a problem as an immigration officer has the discretition to deny you re-entry.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Christopher Irvin Simser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Check with your attorney.

    If you are in a pre-trial release program, there may be a restriction on you leaving the jurisdiction. But your attorney is the best source of reliable information.

    Christopher Simser
    Anelli Xavier
    269 West Jefferson Street
    Syracuse, NY 13202

  3. Marco Caviglia

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Limited to the facts you gave, yes.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Dennis James Dressler

How much do I tell my lawyer?

Start by telling your lawyer what you are charged with and when you are due to appear in court. From that point on I suggest that you let your lawyer ask you questions and you answer those... more

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,356 answers this week

2,928 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,356 answers this week

2,928 attorneys answering