Skip to main content

Can I leave the country while on probation and never come back.

Wappingers Falls, NY |

I am a citizen of Australian and are on 3 years probation for misdemeanor chargers for robbery and conspiracy assault. Can I leave and never come back?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. As an attorney, I am obligated to advise a person to complete their probationary period, and to follow all rules, regulations and guidelines established by the overseeing entity. If you were to leave before you completed your probation, you could face severe consequences if you ever returned to the United States, even to simply vacation or visit friends. Your lack of completing probation would likely lead to a revocation of the probation, and facing imprisonment for the violation.

    No one will stop you from leaving at the airport if you choose to do so. There is no screening system that I am aware of that would prevent you from getting on a Qantas flight and never coming back. The problem is that if you do ever change your mind and come back, the consequences will be severe.

    William Quirk, Esq. Meehan & Quirk, LLC 354 State Street, Hackensack, New Jersey (201)968-0800 The answers to questions provided by Mr. Quirk are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This information is for informational purposes only and does not form any relationship between the individual asking the question and the attorney. You should investigate and consider all possible outcomes with a skilled individual before making a final decision.

  2. this is a repeat question

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  3. Sure you can; but don't even think of ever being able to come back without being arrested.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I agree with the prior answer and would add that you did not mention your current status in the US. Are you a visitor, LPR, work visa etc. Please understand that there is a difference between offenses that you can be removed for and offenses that will stop you from being admitted to the US. You should consider you current status, in addition to completing the probationary period. Please consider consulting an attorney in this case as the consequences could be lifelong.

    This advice is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship.

  5. depending on the circumstances of the case one cannot rule out the possibility that the US authorities will notify the Australian authorities of your violation of the probation. true, this is a remote possibility, but it still exists.

  6. Check with your probation officer and criminal defense attorney.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics