Can i leave the country before my misdemeanor court hearting and then come back ? ? ?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I should be in court next month but i have to leave the country for 2 weeks due to a death in the family , mi not an American citizen , just here as a tourist

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

13

8

Answered . You cannot, absolutely cannot miss the court date. You will have a warrant for your arrest and then you will not be able to get a visa or be detained at the border if you try to get back. It is not wise to leave criminal charges hanging. I am sorry for your loss.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

14

4

Answered . Immigration consequences for criminal convictions are very harsh and should be taken seriously. Consult and attorney. Do yourself a good deed.

3. Irene Vaisman

14

1

Answered . it depends, you may have problems returning in order to attend the hearing

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. Michael M. Yalovenko

Pro

13

1

Answered . You should consult an experienced immigration and criminal defense counsel to advise you on this matter, Leaving the country and coming back on a B-2 is a tricky business. Good Luck!

5. Eric Edward Rothstein

8

1

Answered . I handle situations like this all the time. If you are not a citizen you can be denied re-entry because of the pending case plus the court could issue a bench warrant for your arrest if you miss court and you would be taken into custody at the airport on your way back in. Hire a criminal defense lawyer as there may be something than can be done.