Can I leave state with an open CPS case?

Lafayette, LA |

I have an open CPS case in a state that I am not originally from. I moved here and don't have anyone here for support. My child has been returned home, and was returned home in March. I have family services. I just want to go back home and be with my family and go through this with their support. I'm alone out here and don't have anyone except for one friend and the people I work with.

1. You may be able to leave but the child may need to remain. Once the child is deemed in need of care the child comes into the custody of the state. If your goal is to get the child back in your custody then you need to do what ever child protective services says in order for that to happen.

Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your case. The answer given is only intended to provide general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities.

Child custody topics