Can I leave state with an open CPS case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lafayette, LA

I have an open CPS case in a state that I am not originally from. I moved here and don't have anyone here for support. My child has been returned home, and was returned home in March. I have family services. I just want to go back home and be with my family and go through this with their support. I'm alone out here and don't have anyone except for one friend and the people I work with.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lauren G. Coleman

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You may be able to leave but the child may need to remain. Once the child is deemed in need of care the child comes into the custody of the state. If your goal is to get the child back in your custody then you need to do what ever child protective services says in order for that to happen.

    Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Child protection services

Child protection services (CPS) is a government agency that protects children from abuse and neglect. This abuse could be from injury or other harm.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,870 answers this week

2,362 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,870 answers this week

2,362 attorneys answering