Can I leave a company after signing a commitment contract in 'At Will States"?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Alexandria, VA

I signed a 12 month commitment contract with a consulting firm but I don't want to work for them any more. Can the company take legal action against me based on the commitment contract if I leave?

1. Lauren Morgan Ellerman

Answered . Dear VA employee.

I agree with the other attorney, it all depends on your specific contract. Call a Virginia employment attorney today - it may be worth the 2-3 hours of fees to know you rights and restrictions.

2. Robert John Murillo

Answered . To answer this question will require a review of this contract. If it is a binding contract, then they may very well be able to sue for damages for your breach of the contract terms. At-will means that the employer or you can end the employment relationship without cause and without notice. There is, by definition, no contract on the employment duration, terms, conditions, so on and your employment is therefore not at-will.

You should contact a local attorney and provide them the contract and they can advise you about your rights and duties.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only and discusses general legal principles, trends, and considerations and is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. For legal advice, you should retain legal counsel for advice regarding your specific circumstances.

3. Robert John Murillo

Answered . The last sentence I posted is incorrect. I meant to make the distinction between at-will and a contract. If you have a contract then you do not have at-will employment and the contract terms may be binding. The advice to contact an attorney still applies.