Can i kick out my drug addict brother out of my mothers house after she died? He was living there prior to death.

Asked about 2 years ago - Manahawkin, NJ

We can not sell the house do to leans and medical bills but dont want my brother living there due to the problems he causes.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lawrence A Friedman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Depends. NJ has anti-eviction laws, which may or may not give your brother occupancy rights. In addition, your mom's estate plan may or may not give such rights. Assuming your brother has no occupancy rights, the personal representative of the estate (person with Surrogate's Court granted Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration can force your brother out, but it could require a court order to get law enforcement to help. If the liens and other charges against the estate exceed the value of the estate, the family could be better off just walking away from everything, but that depends on many factors. You really need legal advice here. Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (L.L.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law.

  2. Joseph P Meehan

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The responses of the two other attorneys are on point. You should ascertain who was paying the bills for the property while your mother was alive. Who do you anticipate will be paying the bill for the property if your brother remains and/or if he leaves? Who is the "We " that cannot sell the house and dislikes the problems that are caused by the brother?

  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . There is not enough information provided to answer your question. Is there an estate open? Are you the executor? If so, then you would have legal authority to remove your brother. If not, then you have no authority to do so. You would have a right to occupy the property with him, assuming there is no one else on the title. But neither one of you would legally be able to sell the house or refinance unless and until an estate is open. If you are acting as executor, you should be represented by an attorney, to make sure that you handle things properly.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,378 answers this week

3,281 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,378 answers this week

3,281 attorneys answering