Can I kick my son out at the age of 18?

Asked 9 months ago - Blair, NE

My son has gotten uncontrollable. He is going before a judge for sentencing on some misdemeanors in December and has to do a PSI which isn't for another week. He will not go to school, says he wants to drop out and get a full time job which I have not seen him do. He stays out and doesn't come home, then when he does, he sleeps all day then leaves again. Can I kick him out or is there some place that can help him? He has been to Kearney YRTC 2 times and was seeing a therapist till he stopped going to her. He will not listen to me, what are my options here, I really need some help. I can never get his attorney to return my phone calls. Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brendan Michael Kelly


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Not much you can do, until he turn 19. May want to see if he would go to the military?

    Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our... more
  2. Ashley Lee Albertsen

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . First of all, unless he has signed a waiver allowing his attorney to talk to you, the attorney is not allowed to speak with you.

    Second, if he is still before the juvenile court, you can ask the judge (or rather ask the county attorney to ask the judge) if you can be heard on the issue of placement.

    As a matter of last resort you can contact HHS and request that he be removed from your home because you cannot control him. However, this could result in a new juvenile court case, which, depending on the situation, could be a good thing or a bad thing for you.

    I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal... more
  3. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You'll probably have to wait until your son is 19 or the court deems him emancipated.

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now