Can I kick my son out at the age of 18?

Blair, NE |

My son has gotten uncontrollable. He is going before a judge for sentencing on some misdemeanors in December and has to do a PSI which isn't for another week. He will not go to school, says he wants to drop out and get a full time job which I have not seen him do. He stays out and doesn't come home, then when he does, he sleeps all day then leaves again. Can I kick him out or is there some place that can help him? He has been to Kearney YRTC 2 times and was seeing a therapist till he stopped going to her. He will not listen to me, what are my options here, I really need some help. I can never get his attorney to return my phone calls. Thank you

1. You'll probably have to wait until your son is 19 or the court deems him emancipated.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

2. Not much you can do, until he turn 19. May want to see if he would go to the military?

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our time is valuable and you should stay with the people who help you the most.

3. First of all, unless he has signed a waiver allowing his attorney to talk to you, the attorney is not allowed to speak with you.

Second, if he is still before the juvenile court, you can ask the judge (or rather ask the county attorney to ask the judge) if you can be heard on the issue of placement.

As a matter of last resort you can contact HHS and request that he be removed from your home because you cannot control him. However, this could result in a new juvenile court case, which, depending on the situation, could be a good thing or a bad thing for you.

I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal advice. It is merely my opinion based on the limited information given. In order to assure that your legal rights are being properly represented I would always recommend going in for a consultation with an attorney to explain your case in detail and answer any questions the attorney might have.