Can I kick my son out at the age of 18?

Asked about 1 year ago - Blair, NE

My son has gotten uncontrollable. He is going before a judge for sentencing on some misdemeanors in December and has to do a PSI which isn't for another week. He will not go to school, says he wants to drop out and get a full time job which I have not seen him do. He stays out and doesn't come home, then when he does, he sleeps all day then leaves again. Can I kick him out or is there some place that can help him? He has been to Kearney YRTC 2 times and was seeing a therapist till he stopped going to her. He will not listen to me, what are my options here, I really need some help. I can never get his attorney to return my phone calls. Thank you

1. Brendan Michael Kelly

Pro

Answered . Not much you can do, until he turn 19. May want to see if he would go to the military?

2. Ashley Lee Albertsen

Answered . First of all, unless he has signed a waiver allowing his attorney to talk to you, the attorney is not allowed to speak with you.

Second, if he is still before the juvenile court, you can ask the judge (or rather ask the county attorney to ask the judge) if you can be heard on the issue of placement.

As a matter of last resort you can contact HHS and request that he be removed from your home because you cannot control him. However, this could result in a new juvenile court case, which, depending on the situation, could be a good thing or a bad thing for you.

3. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . You'll probably have to wait until your son is 19 or the court deems him emancipated.