Skip to main content

Can I kick my girlfriend out of my house?

Appleton, WI |

My girlfriend has been living with me for two years. We broke up and now she won't leave. We do have a child together that we have joint custody of. Can I just give her verbal warning to get out and change the locks. She has never paid anything to live there.

Attorney Answers 1


I just want to be clear, You're asking for free information about how to kick the mother of your children onto the street. Do I have that right?

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE CAN THANK ATTORNEY MEMMEN BY MARKING IT “BEST ANSWER” or “HELPFUL.” Mr Memmen is donating his time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. THIS IS NOT A CONSULTATION and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. Alexander Memmen recommends that you always consult – in person – with a local attorney before taking any action.

Mark as helpful




Ok. That sounds bad. We cannot live together anymore. She has been threatening and very verbally abusive towards me while my daughter is around. I have offered to help her find a place to live and help her financially. I even told her we can wait until child support is established. I have been told I would have to evict her and I will never see my daughter again. That is the censored version of what she told me.



Also I do have joint legal custody/placement and we plan to keep it that way.

Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Alexander Mchenry Memmen


I'm sorry to hear that things have gotten so bad. If you haven't already, I would talk to a family attorney. You may have to go through an eviction process, but I would not recommend simply changing the locks.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics