Can I keep my cell phone contract after filing chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbia, SC

I know the contract has to be listed as an unexpired lease. My father has a cell phone on a contract I started in 2011. I am current on the payments. Can I include the phone as personal property or a tool of trade as he use it for work purposes also?

1. William Asa Grafton

3

Answered . List the phone on schedule b as an asset if you own it. Exempt it as personal property.

So long as you keep paying the monthly bill, you shouldn't have an issue. You may want to call the phone company to give them a heads up that you're filing and find out how they want you to continue paying since they'll probably cut off automatic payments if you have them.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . Used cell phones are worth virtually nothing. I have never had a client lose their phone service as long as they continued to keep up their payments. Hope this perspective helps!

3. Jeffrey B. Peltz

Pro

1

Answered . The cell phone has little value and have never have had a problem with a client keeping it. As long as you pay your bill for service you should be able to keep your service. To be safe, call your service provider to let them know that you will continue to make your payements and they should not terminate your service.