Can I initial and sign a power of attorney for my mother if she can't see well and is unable to sign herself?

New York, NY |

My mother is ill, had an lawyer prepare a power of attorney, and needs to initial and sign it. She can't see well and her handwriting is terrible -- she writes over the words and can't properly initial the power. Can I initial and sign for her if she requests it? The attorney who prepared it does not know if I can do it for her.

You may not initial or sign for her. You will have to do your best to guide her as to where to initial and sign. It does not need to be legible. So long as she knows what she is signing and intends the mark as her signature it is valid. It must be done in the presence of a notary public.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

I assist competent clients by guiding their signature whenever needed.
It is my pleasure to do so.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Your attorney should figure this out.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates