CAN I INCLUDE A CREDITOR ON A BANKRUPTCY FOR A TITLE LOAN AND RETAIN THE VEHICLE

Asked over 1 year ago - Cleveland, OH

I RECEIVED A CAR TITLE LOAN FOR 1800. I PAID 1100 AND WAS TOLD THAT AMOUNT WAS ONLY TO REFINANCE. I RECENTLY FILED BANKRUPTCY. CAN I INCLUDE THIS CREDITOR AND RETAIN THE VEHICLE

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

5

1

Answered . You can and you should include this debt in your bankruptcy but the creditor isn't required to hand back the title to your vehicle unless & until the debt is paid in full. Once your bankruptcy is over or if the lender obtains a "lift stay" the lender will continue to have the right to repo the vehicle. Although some may chose not to do this, what will happen to you is not something anyone can predict without specific experience with the lender you have dealt with. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Steven Scott Davis

2

Answered . Your question says that you already filed your case. Do you have an attorney? If so, your question should be addressed to him. If not, you should look at your filing and make certain that the lender was included. When you file, you are asserting that you have listed everything you own and everyone to whom you owe money. You also have to determine if the lender properly perfected its lien on your car. If so, they have rights in the car. If you do not have an attorney, you should probably get on, as a bankruptcy case is not a simple matter.

3. Diane L Gruber

Pro

3

Answered . This creditor has a lien on your car. Once the debt is paid off, they MUST return your title, with or without a bankruptcy. Talk with a BK attorney about this.