Can I import car to mainland China? What is the process?

Oceanside, CA |

My cousin think buy a car from American is cheaper than China. So she asks me to find out what is the process to buy a car to ship to china? What documents should I need to do that? What are the procedures?

Your cousin is likely correct. The problem is car companies do not want you to do this and I do believe they have hurdles set up to stop it.

Pretty straightforward: buy the car in the US, maintain proper documentation, use a shipping company to send car to china, pay duties in China, register car in China. These import-export issues are surprisingly simple through an established shipping company.

Portage Bay Law PLLC is an international law firm that give companies doing global business the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business