Can I ignore a Civil Demand Letter from Michael Aspen for shoplifting from Walmart?

Asked 10 months ago - Holley, NY

I received a letter from Michael Aspen Attorney to pay a fine of $199.80 for shoplifting from Walmart. I shoplifted and got arrested on 7/24/13 and on the letter it said I shoplifted on 7/25/13. The LP officer who stopped me said they he could resell the item. I got a second notice for the first letter today. I need help please.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Best Answer

Answered . I deal with Mr. Asen (not Aspen) all the time. I advise my clients not to pay this civil demand because I have never seen him or a store sue to collect as it is not worth their time and money. I write letters to the store or their attorneys for my clients directing the store or its lawyers not to communicate with my client and to only deal with me. This stops the store or its lawyers from contacting my clients any further. Absent doing that expect many letters and even some phone calls from Mr. Asen's office.

2. Marco Caviglia

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, as they the civil demand has no effect on the criminal matter or vice-a-versa. The store can sue you, but generally it is not worth the attorney fees/collection efforts.

3. Dorea Helene Silverman

1

Answered . In similar cases, I advise my clients not to respond to letters from stores and/or the store's attorney and only focus on the criminal case. Ask your criminal lawyer to send this lawyer a letter informing him that you are represented by counsel and that he is not to contact you directly.