Can I hold an E-3 and an O-1 visa at the same time?

Asked 11 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I'm on an E-3 visa and have been recently offered agent representation to be an actor. I have an extensive portfolio in Australia and have held an O-1 in the past. Can I hold both an E-3 and an O-1 at the same time? I don't want to give up my day job, but would like to go to auditions for gigs part time.

Additional information

If I can't hold two statuses at the same time, is there an option for me to continue my employment under the E-3 and still get acting gigs?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . And other 55 different visas if you are eligible for each separately, applied and got those approved. You can only enter in one status at a time though which fits the purpose.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Jay Ignacio Nunez

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. You can file for change of status though. Consult with an experienced attorney who handles O-1s regularly.

  3. Vidal Luis Cordova Jr.

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You cannot hold two different non-immigrant visa categories simultaneously, but if your agent wishes to file an O-1 on your behalf (and assuming you meet the criteria for extraordinary ability in the arts), then your agent can file a change of status application on your behalf. You would not be able to begin work on the O-1 until the petition is approved. But you may be able to go on auditions while on the E-3 as long as you're not engaging in employment that is outside of the scope of your E-3. I recommend you speak with an experienced employment-based attorney to guide you through this process. Thank you.

    This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, as the information provided is... more
  4. Harry Asatrian

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I don't see why not. But obtaining an O-1 in acting is not so easy. I would certainly consult with an immigration attorney who is familiar with O-1 visas. Good luck.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering