Skip to main content

Can I hire an attorney to get the DA to prosecute a Bigamous marriage coupled with Immigration Marriage Fraud and Identity Theft

Los Angeles, CA |

My ex spouse was married to her previous husband while still married to me, so our marriage was annulled based on Bigamy. But her Bigamous marriage was used to commit Immigration Marriage Fraud coupled with Identity Theft. Because this crime paid her very well she intends to do it again. To stop her from victimizing more people I have tried reporting the crime to ICE but to no avail. The local DA also does not seem very interested either. Can I hire an attorney to help in this case, at the least to get the DA to prosecute the case.

Attorney Answers 4


You can do whatever you want but any attorney who will agree to take on such a case will not get very far and certainly will not be able to successfully pressure or compel the DA's office to prosecute, let alone be interested in even opening an investigation in this case.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


No. You can report to the DA . DA will make the decision whether to go forward.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


You can hire an attorney to advocate with the appropriate prosecuting agency in favor of prosecution. But that may be a financial flyer. Prosecutors don't often pay any attention to that kind of advocacy unless they are already interested in the case and need investigative assistance. Doesn't seem like that's what you've got.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Its not up to you once you have reported the crime.

I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer unless we have spoken and we have entered into an attorney-client relationship. Due to the nature of this forum, I often do not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, my responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics