Skip to main content

Can I hire an attorney for filling out the fafsa?

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Education law

Are there attorneys that will represent me in filling out the fafsa? If so, what type are they? I have been unable to find any so far.

Attorney Answers 2


To receive student financial aid, you need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every school year. But this is a federal questionaire which asks standard and routine types of personal and financial questions.

No, I don't think you need an attorney to fill out a federal application form. . . . yet. I doubt that most attorneys even know what you are talking about when you say fafsa.
But if you have trouble with English or for some other reason, pehaps you can ask someone for help. The form itself says the following:

"Warning! Be wary of organizations that charge a fee to submit your application or to find you money for college. In general, the help you pay for can be obtained for free from your college or from Federal Student Aid.
NOTE: If you or your family have unusual circumstances (such as loss of employment), complete FAFSA on the Web to the extent you can, then submit the application and consult the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend. "

If the foregoing has been helpful, kindly check the thumbs-up box below.

Mark as helpful


This answer is not specific legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship.
I m sure you can find an attorney if you are willing to pay, but most of the time you would not need an attorney's assistance in filling out the form, unless you have complicated asset or income questions.

Mark as helpful

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics