Skip to main content

Can I hire a lawyer to help me if my US citizenship was denied?

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

I missed to sign up for Selective Services which is a part of us citizenship requrements.
Is there any way a lawyer can help me fight my case? I have 30 days to file a hearing.

Attorney Answers 4


More information is needed. It is unclear if a mistake was made by USCIS. Those who are in the U.S. lawfully or unlawfully are required to register for the draft. The reason for not registering should be evaluated by an experienced immigration attorney. Perhaps, there is an explanation that was not properly explained to the naturalization examiner.

The above is general information and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful


Yes definitely you need a lawyer to help you with this matter. Not signing up for SS is lack of good moral character but there could be many reasons why this never happened & it may not have been your fault.

Mark as helpful


According to law, every man ages 18 through 25 living in the U.S. must register with Selective Service System (even undocumented man). Failure to do so may represent denial of benefits and/or a job. Yes, you can hire an attorney to help with your case. You’ll have to state valid reasons why you didn’t register. If you are below 26 years, you can still register to avoid consequences. Selective Service accepts late registrations.

Marcela Knaup – Licensed to practice law in California. – 415-409-9229

The above information is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should consult with an attorney on the specifics of your case. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful


Yes, an experienced immigration attorney can advise you how to proceed, as there are several situations where your failure to register may be excused. This depends on your age right now and your reasons for not registering.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics