Can I hire a divorce attorney in another state?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tallahassee, FL

I've been married to the same man for 14 years. We both lived in Florida and I just came to Texas a little over a year ago. I am wanting a divorce and am trying to keep from hiring an attorney but he's not making things easy. He comes from a very well to do family and I'm afraid to find an attorney in Tallahassee because he and his family are very well known and will know exactly who to hire whereas I have no connections and will be left to defend myself. Is it possible for me to hire a divorce attorney in Texas? Or can I hire an attorney anywhere in Florida?

1. Gregory Thomas Buckley

Pro

3

Answered . If the case is filed in Florida, you will need an attorney who is licensed to practice law in Florida. It does not necessarily have to be one from Tallahassee, but keep in mind that if the attorney has to travel a great deal, you will be paying for that travel.

2. Daniel A. Bachert

2

Answered . If the divorce has not been filed yet you can file it in Florida or Texas. However, if there are marital assets in Florida it may be better to file the action here but if not you would be better off to file in Texas. All courts of Florida would have jurisdiction but if you file here the action would need to be filed in the Circuit Court for the Florida county where you both last resided together. You can hire an attorney from anywhere in Florida for the Florida action but it is better to find an attorney located in the area where the case will be filed as you would want your attorney to be familiar with the local rules and judges.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
    The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
    330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
    West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
    (561) 653-3951
    Palm-Beach-Divorces.com

3. Robert A. Stumpf

3

Answered . Why not sue him for divorce in Texas, which I assume you are able to? I would first speak to a Texas attorney and see if you can.

4. Omar Jose Famada

1

Answered . If your Husband has been living in Florida for at least six months, then Florida has jurisdiction to dissolve your marriage regardless of where you are living. I cannot speak as to what Texas law says under these circumstances.

A Florida court may order your Husband to pay for your attorneys' fees and costs if he is in a vastly superior financial position than you are.

5. Adam Robert Cowhey

1

Answered . I agree with all prior answers to your question. You should speak with both a Florida attorney and a Texas attorney to determine your best options.