Can I hire a contingency attorney for a claim I have against the Texas Workforce Commission?

Asked 8 months ago - Houston, TX

I was unemployed from Nov. 1 - Jan. 1. I filed for unemployment around November 10. Texas Workforce Commission initially denied my claim. I appealed, and they reversed their decision around mid-December. I was paid unemployment for the period between mid-December and January 1, but I was denied back-dated unemployment for early November through mid-December (TWC's stated reason is that I did not continue to request unemployment on a weekly basis (but I did not do so because I was actively appealing their original (incorrect) opinion)). I had to file another appeal regarding that unpaid time frame, and the appeals committee voted 2-1 against me. I've taken a pay cut to work for a startup before I go back to school to get my MBA, so the $3,200 or so that I'm owed is actually substantial.

1. Adam Kielich

1

1

Answered . It is doubtful you will find an attorney to take a case for $3200 on contingency. The cost of filing and serving suit would be several hundred dollars alone. However, call the local bar association and ask for referrals and see what responses you receive. You may find a lawyer able to take the case.

2. Daniel Lee O'Neil

Answered . You can always ask, but there is little guarantee any lawyer would take it on unless you are good friends with them or they are a member of your religious congregation and want to help out the "family" - ask around town. You likely have a pretty good network locally to get in with a startup, maybe someone knows someone who knows someone. Best of luck