Can I hire a contingency attorney for a claim I have against the Texas Workforce Commission?

Asked 8 months ago - Houston, TX

I was unemployed from Nov. 1 - Jan. 1. I filed for unemployment around November 10. Texas Workforce Commission initially denied my claim. I appealed, and they reversed their decision around mid-December. I was paid unemployment for the period between mid-December and January 1, but I was denied back-dated unemployment for early November through mid-December (TWC's stated reason is that I did not continue to request unemployment on a weekly basis (but I did not do so because I was actively appealing their original (incorrect) opinion)). I had to file another appeal regarding that unpaid time frame, and the appeals committee voted 2-1 against me. I've taken a pay cut to work for a startup before I go back to school to get my MBA, so the $3,200 or so that I'm owed is actually substantial.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Adam Kielich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . It is doubtful you will find an attorney to take a case for $3200 on contingency. The cost of filing and serving suit would be several hundred dollars alone. However, call the local bar association and ask for referrals and see what responses you receive. You may find a lawyer able to take the case.

  2. Daniel Lee O'Neil

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You can always ask, but there is little guarantee any lawyer would take it on unless you are good friends with them or they are a member of your religious congregation and want to help out the "family" - ask around town. You likely have a pretty good network locally to get in with a startup, maybe someone knows someone who knows someone. Best of luck

    Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever... more

Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Elizabeth Raye Ison

Pantoja v. Anton

In Pantoja v. Anton, a California Court of Appeal (Fifth Appellate District) overturned a trial courts decision to exclude me too evidence presented by the plaintiff; that is, testimony... more

Unemployment compensation after job loss

Unemployment compensation is money you get from the state if you lose your job and it's not your fault. It helps cover your expenses while you look for a job.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,012 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,012 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering