Can I help my sister and mom get green card when I become a citizen?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Duluth, GA

My sister (20 yrs old), my mom, and I have been living in the States for about 13 years now. I became a Permanent Resident about two months ago. I am going to be married to my fiance (he's a US citizen) next year and will be taking my citizenship test as soon as I am able to in a couple years. Now the question is, once I become a citizen, will I be able to help my mom and sister get their green cards? They both hold F1 visas.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As a US citizen, you can sponsor your mother and sister for green cards. In your mother's case, the process takes less than one year. However, in your sister's case, the current waiting times range from 11 to 23 years.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. David Nabow Soloway

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . As mentioned in previous responses, a U.S. Citizen generally may petition for a parent and sibling to adjust status to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card"). The fact that a parent entered the U.S. lawfully and with inspection but then overstayed a visa will not stand in the way of adjustment of status, and there is no backlog for visas in this category. The same is not true for a sibling, however: not only must a sibling be in valid nonimmigrant status in the U.S., but also there is a very long backlog for visas in this category -- most likely 15+ years, during which time the sibling would NOT be entitled to remain in the U.S. Additionally, for an adult sibling who has long overstayed her visa, not only will it be necessary to seek "consular processing" abroad, rather than "adjustment of status" inside the U.S., but the sibling who overstayed a visa for more than a year may be subject to a very harsh 10-year bar to re-entering the U.S.

    It would be wise to work with an immigration attorney who could learn all of the relevant circumstances and details and then be able to advise about immigration eligibilities, options and strategies.

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway, Poorak & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 *

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal... more
  3. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Once you're a us citizen, you can petition for your mom as an immediate relative and she can adjust status.

    You sister, however, is in a different category (F4), which is very heavily backlogged (as indicated by my colleague). Moreover, because she is not an immediate relative (spouse, parent or child of a USC) and has accrued unlawful presence, she would not be able to adjust status in the us under your petition, but would have to leave the country to consular process. Leaving would trigger the unlawful presence bar for which a waiver showing that a qualified relative - a USC or permanent resident spouse or parent - would suffer extreme hardship. This is a very high bar.

    Of course this information is based on current laws. Who knows what the future may bring so filing for your sister when you're eligible could open up some potential options should the law change in the future.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,289 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,289 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering