Skip to main content

Can I have the venue changed in my family case if the case is closed?

Ashland, WI |

I have a divorce in another county, that is closed. My ex filed a letter with the court asking for mediation, then withdrew it. None of us live in that county anymore, and haven't for 3 plus years. Now that the case is closed, can it be changed to a different county?

Attorney Answers 2


If neither of you still live in the county, then yes you can change the venue. You need to contact the clerk of courts in the county where you currently reside. They will be able to tell you the procedure and what you need to do. It usually involves a fee and notice to your ex-spouse.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Well is it withdrawn or dismissed? If it is either of those then you can refile in a different county or state,

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. This information is provided by PEGGY M. RADDATZ, Attorney At Law as a pro bono service. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful




Divorce is finalized. He filed a request for mediation to change placement, then withdrew it. I want the whole case here in my county.,

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz


If you are divorced then you will have to enroll the divorce and motion the court to do so and he will have to agree or the court will rule on it. that would be the court you want to transfer the case to. That would make the divorce enforceable in the other county.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics