Can I have the tenant leave at anytime?

Duluth, MN |

I bought a house on a quitclaim deed, currently there is a tenant living there that has paid august rent to the previous owner. The quitclaim deed was dated July 31, 2013 and notarized.

1. Does the tenant have a lease? If so, you must follow the terms of the ease. the sale does not invalidate the contract with thee tenant. If it is a month to month lease, and there is no contract, you must provide one full rental period of prior notice to vacate.

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at http://www.minnesotaLawyers.com

2. Unless otherwise agreed to between you and the tenant, you take the property subject to whatever lease the tenant has. If it's a month-to-month lease, you must give notice to vacate on or before the last day of the month indicating that they must vacate by the end of the following month. A written lease may make other provisions as to termination and vacating the property. As an example, let's take your case--if the tenant has a month-to-month lease, you would have had to give notice on July 31 that you wanted them out by the end of August. If you want them out by the end of September, you need to give notice by the end of August. If they don't leave then, you have a bigger problem. Come back with more questions.