Can I have my husband see a therapist

Far Rockaway, NY |

My husband portrays all the behavior of someone suffering from a mental illness, bipolar disorder to be exact (is what he portrays) how can I force him to see a psychiatrist?

1. Generally, since he is an adult, unless he poses a danger or threat, you generally cannot be able to do anything. Does he have a doctor he sees on a regular basis? Perhaps you can speak to that doctor and mention your concerns confidentially. If he does pose a danger, then the only force that can be used is to have him arrested and placed on a hold in a psych ward. The best suggestion is to find a lawyer specializing in mental health cases and see if there is anything more you can do.

2. I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, attorney Vaccaro gave you excellent advice. You cannot force him to see anyone, but if he is a danger to himself or others, you can have him involuntarily committed. You may also want to seek guardianship. Speak with a guardianship attorney if you want to go that route.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

3. The key is whether he is acting in a manner or way that poses a danger or threat to himself. Short of having him arrested, so that he is taken to a mental ward for psych evaluation, you can also try to file a Petition for a Guardianship or Conservatorship on the grounds that he is mentally incompetent to properly take care of himself physical and/or legal affairs. Be aware that the burden (or obligation) will be on you to prove by competent evidence, primarily psychiatric in this instance, that he is as you say he is. The standards of proof can be high as someone with a mental disorder will not necessarily be deemed under the law to be legally incompetent. Seek out and consult with an attorney who has experience with litigating such petitions.

Small business topics