Can I have my 2 yr old sons father tested for steroid use?

Asked 10 months ago - Houston, TX

We have joint custody with me as the primary custodial parent. He has been really difficult to work with the past month, with visitations, questions, flies off the handle over small things that normally he wouldn't. he will say most things through text. His personality in general has changed in the last month. He is doing body building show this summer and I have in the past found bottle and the injection needles in his bathroom. which I took pictures of that was early dec 2012 I took them. I don't feel he was doing it at that time just recently. he has never been violent, I do not want to take his parental rights away but I do not want my son around if he is using them. What can I do?

1. James D. Roark

1

Answered . You do not have to take away his parental rights to protect your child; there are other options. If you can actually prove behavior that could pose a danger to your son, you can file to modify the terms of possession. Once in court, you can request a drug test. If he tests positive, the court could issue temporary orders requiring supervised visitation until he gets the problem under control.

2. Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Pro

Answered . You can file a motion to modify the parent-child relationship and request drug testing. You'd have to prove to the court why you think he may be using steroids and why this affects the safety and welfare of your child. I would request supervised visits until the drug test comes back. Ultimately, it will be up to a judge to decide.